[Box Backup] Network failure

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:28:18 +0000

On 6 Feb 2005, at 13:51, Mr R G Shepherd wrote:

> I would like to know if it possible to disable recovery? not
> completely however. :)
>
> My reasoning is, given the ease of automated backups and recovery, my
> users would get complacent and treat it like a fully dependable second
> hard disk, safe in the knowledge they "always" have backup copy which
> can be restored. this leads to versioning errors and lost work. (if
> they restore a dir and not an individual file by mistake) which leads
> to the system being more trouble than it's worth. :)
>
> I would like to be able to describe it as a one way process. To
> describe it as a system where recovery is a last option. I could then
> temporarily permit a recovery per client in the event of absolute
> failure. :)

Simply use the normal UNIX file permission system to restrict access to
the key and certificates files. Then they won't be able to log in, and
even if they did, they wouldn't be able to decrypt the data.

The supplied bbackupd-config script will limit these files to the user
who runs the script. This is usually root, as root privileges are
required to read all files (unless you have lots of fun with groups).

Ben