[Box Backup] Exclude lists

Dennis Speekenbrink boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:34:20 +0100

> Unfortunately I do need Box's headers as well as the shared library,
> and since I have neither at the moment without a copy of Box itself, I
> am just looking for permission to distribute Box (without changing its
> license) together with my application.
>
> Cheers, Chris.

Is there anything in the license that prohibits this?
You just have to acknowledge Ben's copyright and force this clause upon
your users.

You could just take the GPL (or any other license) and add this
requirement to it to comply.
You might even get away with the following:
- create a GPL-a-like license like above, or
- Distribute the software in 2 parts: first part with a BSD-style
license for the BoxBackup code  and the second you're own (GPL?) license.
  (you would still need to acknowledge Ben's work in your distribution
process, but as you're giving your users 2 licenses they can
re-distribute/modify/etc the parts according to each seperate license.)

Or am I not seeing things correctly?

Dennis