[Box Backup] Exclude lists

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:53:28 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Dennis,

> Is there anything in the license that prohibits this?

I don't think there is anything in the Box license (BSD). The GPL may be
another issue, but at least I have control over that side of things.

> You just have to acknowledge Ben's copyright and force this clause upon your
> users.

Exactly. Perhaps it isn't even necessary to enforce the clause myself,
just to point out that it is a legal requirement when compiling and
linking the application. I have barely copied any code from Box directly
into my app, probably not enough for a copyright infringement, but
compiling and linking requires a copy of the Box sources.

> You could just take the GPL (or any other license) and add this requirement
> to it to comply.

Yes, exactly.

> You might even get away with the following:
> - create a GPL-a-like license like above, or
> - Distribute the software in 2 parts: first part with a BSD-style license for
> the BoxBackup code  and the second you're own (GPL?) license.
> (you would still need to acknowledge Ben's work in your distribution
> process, but as you're giving your users 2 licenses they can
> re-distribute/modify/etc the parts according to each seperate license.)

I don't really want to distribute the two parts separately, but I may be
forced to unless we can come to an agreement. Since I think the license
position is as clear as you described above, I just want written
permission from Ben to confirm it.