[Box Backup] Problems running server

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:33:29 +0000

On 5 Jan 2005, at 19:24, Dave Kettmann wrote:

> This is what is in my bbstored.conf:
>

> RaidFileConf = /etc/box/raidfile.conf
> AccountDatabase = /etc/box/bbstored/accounts.txt
>
> # Uncomment this line to see exactly what commands are being received
> from clients.
> # ExtendedLogging = yes
>
> # scan all accounts for files which need deleting every 15 minutes.
>
> TimeBetweenHousekeeping = 900
>
> Server
> {
>         PidFile = /var/run/bbstored.pid
>         User = _bbstored
>         ListenAddresses = inet:gonzo.netlogic.net
>         CertificateFile = /etc/box/bbstored/gonzo.netlogic.net-cert.pem
>         PrivateKeyFile = /etc/box/bbstored/gonzo.netlogic.net-key.pem
>         TrustedCAsFile = /etc/box/bbstored/clientCA.pem
> }

This all looks good, as long as you're running it on gonzo.netlogic.net.

> This is what is in my bbackupd.conf:

[snip]
> DataDirectory = /usr/local

This is bad. Change it to /var/bbackupd and create that directory,
otherwise you'll store the working files in /usr/local.

> Nothing shows up in the logs at all (they are still empty) I even
> looked in /var/log/messages and nothing is there either.
>
> If you need more info, let me know

How are you starting the bbstored server? If it's not as root, then you
need to omit the User = _bbstored line from the config file, and make
sure that /var/run/bbstored.pid can be written by that user.

Do a netstat -a -n, is anything listening on port 2201?

Ben