[Box Backup] Retrieving deleted files (was: Problems running server)

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 17:04:49 +0000

On 6 Jan 2005, at 16:55, Dave Kettmann wrote:

> Hey all again,
>
> One last question because I cant seem to find the answer to this one.
> I know this system does incremental backups. Would I also be able to
> restore a previously backed up copy? For example, say someone had a
> file that got backed up to the server, then, they lost it. So now, the
> server would say that file was deleted and as far as I understand, it
> will keep that file until it needs more space. Now if the person tries
> to re-create the file, and the partial re-creation gets backed up, is
> there no way to retreive the old copy of the file? or is it lost
> forever?

Even if the name is reused after a deletion, the old version will still
be available until it is deleted to reduce the amount of spaced used on
the server. You can retrieve it by following the instructions here:

   http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/retrieve.html

It's actually quite hard to get the server to physically delete data.
The system is designed to retain everything.

Ben