[Box Backup] some probs with windows version

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:04:31 +0000

On 13 Jan 2005, at 01:27, Charles Lecklider wrote:

> Per Thomsen wrote:
>> This is expected behaviour. The server keeps the old versions of the
>> renamed directories around until they need to be deleted.
>
> Except that Windows is case-insensitive; temp -> Temp shouldn't be
> tracked as a rename.

I think Per has mislead you. If it were renamed, the old version would
"disappear" instantly, as the name would be changed on the server. The
reason there are temp and Temp directories in the root is because a
backup location called Temp was removed from the config file, and is
waiting to be marked as deleted, and a new location called temp has
just been added.

>  I'm not sure how boxbackup is supposed to deal with that, but the
> current behaviour is (from a Windows point of view) simply wrong.

The root of the store is a special case as it contains backup
locations, not backed up directories.

The current behaviour is to use the case which Windows returns, and if
case is changed, treat it as a rename. I think this is sensible, and
also compatible with the UNIX version. Or at least, not a bad thing.

Ben