[Box Backup] bbstored/bbackupd communication ports

Robert Shaw boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:24:29 -0800

On Jan 19, 2005, at 12:59 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> bbackupd connects to TCP port 2201 on the server. The client port is
> probably random, decided by the client OS, but shouldn't matter for
> SSH port forwarding. You should be able to run a command like this on
> the client:
>
> 	ssh user@server -L 2201:server:2201
>
> and then tell the client to connect to localhost instead of "server",
> but I haven't tried it.
>
> The only problem I think you might have is with server certificate
> verification. The situation is similar to running the server behind a
> NAT firewall, which is mentioned in the server docs at
> [http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/server.html].
>
> However, it does say that "the name in the certificate won't match the
> real address, but this is not a problem at the moment" (in this case,
> the "real" address according to the client is "localhost"). So I don't
> expect there to be a problem, but if it doesn't work, report back to
> this mailing list, and we can see if we can find out how to solve it.

Hmmm, I thought I had tried that port initially (after digging in the
code) and it didn't work. I'll try it again now that I've verified that
it does work correctly from my home network. When I initially tried it,
I was in the process of setting up all the keys and such, so I may have
messed them up in the process.

I'll try port 2201 again and report back here.

Thanks,
-Robert