[Box Backup] bbstored/bbackupd communication ports

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:59:40 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Robert,

> I'm new to this list and to boxbackup. I'd first like to say, thanks to the
> author for this great backup program. I've only been using it for a few days,
> but it has a lot of nice features, and it works very well. I'm actually using
> it on an Apple MacOSX system, but I realize that none of the resource forks
> are handled. That's fine for what I'm backing up now, but if you ever want a
> test subject for future resource fork support, or help with the coding, I'm
> game.

bbackupd connects to TCP port 2201 on the server. The client port is
probably random, decided by the client OS, but shouldn't matter for SSH
port forwarding. You should be able to run a command like this on the
client:

 	ssh user@server -L 2201:server:2201

and then tell the client to connect to localhost instead of "server", but
I haven't tried it.

The only problem I think you might have is with server certificate
verification. The situation is similar to running the server behind a NAT
firewall, which is mentioned in the server docs at
[http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/server.html].

However, it does say that "the name in the certificate won't match the
real address, but this is not a problem at the moment" (in this case, the
"real" address according to the client is "localhost"). So I don't expect
there to be a problem, but if it doesn't work, report back to this mailing
list, and we can see if we can find out how to solve it.