[Box Backup] child bbstored process ramping up to 100% cpu during bbackupd sync?

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:08:36 +0000

On 31 Jan 2005, at 21:19, reticent wrote:

> Ben Summers wrote:
>

>> On 28 Jan 2005, at 22:45, reticent wrote:
>>

>> What you are seeing is a patch being received by the server, and
>> applied. The 20-30kb of data is the patch, then there's a bit of
>> computation required to apply the patch to the existing file, which
>> overwrites the original file.
>>
>> What is the usage pattern of files on the client? Are they static?
>> Are they being constantly modified? Are files being added regularly?
>>
> The files are, for the most part, static. There are only a few hundred
> updates/additions per day.
> They are also very small, ~1-20kB
> No modifications are made to them

What's the directory structure like?

> The quoted speed was during a backup, i'll have to take some time to
> do some debugging as somthing is definitly not right here.
>
> I'm getting the feeling that it might be related to the amount of
> directories that are being delt with, the backup completed (30+ hours
> later for 1.6 gigs..) and i'm seeing the hk process run and eat up
> 100% cpu when checking backup data for host mentioned in the original
> email.

Yes, housekeeping can take a while for large directory structures. I
will be addressing this soon.

> Looking at the lsof output for the file, it seems to spend approx 6
> minutes opening/closing a single file (that is exactly 234k, for some
> reason all the files i've noticed it working with are exactly 234k)

Interesting. It's probably the directory file you see being re-written
repeatedly.

> I'm going to do some testing with faster machines in a seperate
> environment.

You are using the latest version, aren't you? This had a fix for large
directories which may help.

Ben