[Box Backup] embedded

dm boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 02 Jun 2005 00:42:44 -0500

Maybe I'm masochistic or something, but before I go treading into
unknown territory, I was just wondering if anyone has looked at getting
a server up and running on any sort of embedded device.  Specifically
I'm looking at the linksys nslu2 nas with the custom unslung
firmware(http://www.nslu2-linux.org).  They have a pretty decent howto
document on implementing packages into unslung, but I know very little
of these programming languages(I'm more of a perl/shell monkey).

I already have boxbackup setup on a p3 350 + 1 terabyte raid array
dedicated to backing up 4 machines, and have noticed that as a server it
does use a good chunk of processor while it is backing up, and am
wondering how the nslu2 would handle this.  snmp graphs at
http://209.40.166.42/hotsanic/  It's the machine at 192.168.10.9.

Basically, you could have a server up and running without having to
dedicate an entire machine to it, and it would take up very little
space/generate very little heat.

Thanks!
dİm