[Box Backup] embedded

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:13:01 +0100

On 2 Jun 2005, at 06:42, dm wrote:

> Maybe I'm masochistic or something, but before I go treading into
> unknown territory, I was just wondering if anyone has looked at
> getting a server up and running on any sort of embedded device.
> Specifically I'm looking at the linksys nslu2 nas with the custom
> unslung firmware(http://www.nslu2-linux.org).  They have a pretty
> decent howto document on implementing packages into unslung, but I
> know very little of these programming languages(I'm more of a perl/
> shell monkey).
>
> I already have boxbackup setup on a p3 350 + 1 terabyte raid array
> dedicated to backing up 4 machines, and have noticed that as a
> server it does use a good chunk of processor while it is backing
> up, and am wondering how the nslu2 would handle this.  snmp graphs
> at http://209.40.166.42/hotsanic/  It's the machine at 192.168.10.9.
>
> Basically, you could have a server up and running without having to
> dedicate an entire machine to it, and it would take up very little
> space/generate very little heat.

As a first go, have you tried compiling it natively?

    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NativelyCompileUnslungPackages

You're right, it is an interesting prospect to produce a tiny backup
appliance. The server doesn't actually need much in the way of CPU,
as the client does the really hard work. Your graphs don't indicate a
huge amount of work, a reasonable embedded processor will be fine.

Ben