[Box Backup] Client distribution schemes?

Garry Glendown boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:43:31 +0100

Mr R G Shepherd wrote:
> c:\program files\boxbackup for windows is obvious - although needs admin
> priv's. Has anyone considered this

Hard-coded paths are always a bad thing(tm) ... e.g., on german
windblows, it would rather be "C:\programme\..." (though, again, relying
on c: is not good)

> divide of having some installations owned by admin and run by user
> OR some installations owned and run by user from personal folders.
>
> for unix /usr/local/{bin,etc,lib}, whereever
>
> OR there is an age old unix standard which not many linux distros adhere
> to and
> that is use /opt/$VENDOR/{bin,lib,man,etc}
>
> par example /opt/fluffy/{bin,lib,man,etc}

I think there were discussions around about /opt being optional
software, whereas /usr/local is purely local stuff ...

-gg