[Box Backup] Client distribution schemes?

Per Thomsen boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:35:28 -0800

On 3/23/05 2:51 AM, Mr R G Shepherd wrote:

>>> I'd make it cross-platform, so the same system can be used on all
>>> platforms. Possibly Java...
>>

> I am willing to give this a go, time permitting, however it would be
> nice to work out a standard
> install base and some other issues.....
>
> c:\program files\boxbackup for windows is obvious - although needs
> admin priv's. Has anyone considered this
> divide of having some installations owned by admin and run by user
> OR some installations owned and run by user from personal folders.

Well, for box this is not an issue. Administrator has to run this AFAIK.
Otherwise, you can't be sure that all files are backed up (because of
lack of privileges).

> for unix /usr/local/{bin,etc,lib}, whereever
>
> OR there is an age old unix standard which not many linux distros
> adhere to and
> that is use /opt/$VENDOR/{bin,lib,man,etc}
>
> par example /opt/fluffy/{bin,lib,man,etc}
>
> I personally like this standard because it means vendors can look
> after there own installations without treading on
> other vendors toes. It just means a small amount of work for the
> sysadmin to adapt PATHs and perform backups,

I think a config file for this service is the way to go. That way, you
can accommodate any path you want. Nothing is hard-coded into the
download client. This file would hold other useful stuff as well.

> in Java this would be fairly easy to download, checksum, checksign and
> extract, but how should this process be triggered?
>
> email - Dear boxbackup user, a new version is available please run
> c:\progra~1\boxbac~1\bbupdate.exe
>
> or automatically, have an update daemon running all the time?

Well, I'd prefer 'Scheduled Tasks' on Windows, and cron on *ix. Daily or
weekly checks on a server that holds the latest version. If the client
discovers that it's behind, it will download/install.

I don't want to pollute the boxbackup list with a lot more talk about
this. If you are interested in helping with this, or just want to keep
up on it, send me a private email, and I'll create a mailing list.

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen@reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561