[Box Backup] Boxi on winxp using Cygwin

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 25 May 2005 22:04:03 +0100

Hi Mikael and fellow backers box,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been rather busy for the last few
days (configuring an HP Jornada as a satellite email system to go to
Haiti :-)

> I have download the Boxi cygwim precompiled package from
> http://www.qwirx.com/boxi/ and nearly every thing seems to work.

Good, I'm very glad that I got something right :-)

> I created the CA and other certificates on my openbsd box, no problem
> there.

I would really like to add a nice user interface for this, but I'm not
sure exactly how it would work. A protocol for automatic signups over
the Web would be useful. Anyone want to help me design one?

> Used Boxi to select the different files etc from the GUI, and
> connected to the server. When I want to choose witch files to backup
> under locations all the buttons are disabled... So i can't add any thing
> :-(.

You have to enter the name and location before you can click Add. I'm
sorry, I know the interface sucks, it's on my TODO list to fix it but
it's not easy to see how to give users full access to the power of Box
Backup in a way that's intuitive :-(

> Under Local Files my C: are listed, and I dont know whats this panel are
> for yet.

On Cygwin it's broken in two ways, so it's not very useful yet. It has
two functions, but neither of them very obvious or well implemented, so
I should really remove it.

It's supposed to show you which files are selected (and excluded) from
the backup, and their corresponding state on the server.

> Server Files dont list any thing as I havent done any backup yet. In the
> Backup Process panel, if I push the "Sync" button, it just says that
> "Sync Failed, sleeping (pid 2980)"...
> How can I debug this?

Look in the Windows Event Log for messages from bbackupd.

Hope this helps,

(aidworld) chris wilson | chief engineer (chris@aidworld.org)