[Box Backup] SV: boxbackup digest, Vol 1 #435 - 2 msgs

Micael Roxenhall boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:25:00 +0100

>Message: 1
>Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 16:55:36 -0800 (PST)
>From: Gary <gniemcew@yahoo.com>
>To: boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
>Subject: [Box Backup] Any news on the improved large file diffing
>algorithm?
>
>Hi,
>
>I think someone (Ben?) mentioned a new, improved large file diffing
>algorithm for BoxBackup some time ago. Any news of where things are
>with it at this point? I am running into very long diffs due to
>enormous database files, it might be a save-the-day improvement for
>me...

Hi Gary, how large file have you on database and how long time I'ts take
with default program without patch?

Micael
>Gary

>Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around=20
>http://mail.yahoo.com=20
>
>--__--__--
>
>Message: 2
>From: Jonathan Morton <chromi@chromatix.uklinux.net>
>Subject: Re: [Box Backup] Any news on the improved large file diffing
>algorithm?
>Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:18:35 +0000
>To: boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
>
>> I think someone (Ben?) mentioned a new, improved large file diffing
>> algorithm for BoxBackup some time ago. Any news of where things are
>> with it at this point? I am running into very long diffs due to
>> enormous database files, it might be a save-the-day improvement for
>> me...
>
>That would be my patch.  If you go ahead and grab the chromi/diffopt =20
>branch from SVN, you'll get that improvement, which should be very =20
>helpful for you.

Hi Jonathan, how mutch faster this patch will go? Are there any options=20
To set up speed to compare files (like rsync, how big block to compare
with clients file and server file)
And where can I find this patch?

Micael.