[Box Backup] Diff Optimisations now in SVN

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:59:39 +0100

Jonathan Morton <chromi@chromatix.uklinux.net> wrote:
> As of revision 17, a working version of my diff algorithm
> optimisations is in the tree (at chromi/diffopt).  It passes all
> tests on my G5 (powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu), except for raidfile,
> which seems to be completely broken on Linux/PPC anyway, and is
> unrelated to my changes.

I've done a test merge of all my changes with your changes (just in my
working copy, not checked in). It all merged without conflicts. I
checked the merged files and they all looked sane.

It compiles and passes all the tests on i386-linux (though not first
time - looks like bbstored processes aren't always exiting properly,
causing subsequent tests to fail).

So pretty promising overall.

> Note that a side-effect of my using KATE is that there are a lot of
> deltas referring to blank lines, where KATE has deleted trailing
> whitespace characters from the entire file being edited.  I'm not
> sure what to do about that, aside from trying to work out the right
> GNU indent parameters and hoping nothing else breaks.  Perhaps
> someone had better go through all the other trees and delete trailing
> whitespace from them too.

I think the best thing to do here is 'diff -uw' your changes and apply
that as a patch to a new copy from trunk. Otherwise this is going to
cause excessive and unnecessary pain. That's exactly what I did for my
merge above, and it worked well.

As to whether to strip trailing spaces, I prefer that. I have emacs set
to do that by default, but I turn it off when working on box. KATE must
have an option to turn it off too (I'd consider it a bug if not). But
either way I don't much care.

If we did strip the spaces we should do it after the merges, not
before, else it'll just cause even more pain.

Cheers,

Martin.