[unclassified] [Box Backup] Portability and public source depot

dave bamford boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:26:17 +0100

Martin Ebourne wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 13:04 +0100, Ben Summers wrote:
>

>>The win32 stuff has been made to a vaguely unknown version of Box
>>Backup, probably 0.08 plus changes from 0.09. It's also likely to
>>need a lot of tidying to make it fit well within the existing
>>sources, not break anything, and be able to compile both UNIX and
>>Win32 from the same tree.
>>
>>What's the best way of approaching this problem?
>>

>It is perhaps a shame that you started the repository from 0.09, rather
>than checking in older copies first. If 0.08 had been available I think
>we could have branched from that, checked Nick's port in on top of it,
>and then merged. I think any changes present in both copies would have
>just been accepted.
>
>However, I'm sure we can come up with something similar. I think the key
>thing is that the win port must not be checked in on a branch from 0.09
>or it will look like all the newer stuff has been deleted. Instead make
>a new subdirectory in the repository, check in 0.08. Then check in
>Nick's port on top of it. We should then be able to merge across from
>there onto other branches or trunk.
>
>Nick, if you've got the version of box you started working from, then
>using that to seed the new directory instead of 0.08 would be even
>better.
>
>It's pretty easy to check a new tarball in on top of an old one - just
>untar into the working copy, svn add new files, svn rm deleted files,
>sanity check with svn st, then svn ci.
>
>As to the tidying needed, we can work on that once it is in the
>repository.
>
>Any q's, just ask.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Martin.

Hi
I have just compiled an OS2 port and would like to get this incorporated.
I used the existing win32 port as a starting point and defined an OS2
variable. As OS2 is more unix like than win there were less changes
needed, the only bugbear was vfork, which was skipped by the win32
port too. the only others that had to be added were poll and syslog.

I am currently in the process of testing, all modules compiled, server
and client.

I can easily go back to a clean tarball and do the mods on this, my main
problems were with the configure program, I had to frig it a bit and edit
the makefiles slightly. Autoconfigure would be good.

Dave Bamford.