[Box Backup] 0.10 on Windows?

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sat, 01 Apr 2006 09:21:27 +0000

Hi Paul,

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 14:41 -0500, Paul Nash wrote:

> BTW:  Why no VC++ binaries?  According to the M$ website:
>
> Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
>
> Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using the
> Express Editions.

The problem is not the license, but technical. Microsoft has created a
whole new DLL hell with managed assemblies (google for "express dll
hell").

Microsoft recommends distributing the vc_redist.exe, which is not
supplied with VC Express and therefore I don't think I have a license to
do so.

Also, it DOES NOT fix the problem. I still can't run these binaries on a
plain old win2k machine. Therefore, I give Microsoft the bird and
compile Box with MinGW.