[Box Backup] Backing up the backup store with rsync, write.lock files

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:19:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I'm starting to build a geographically remote machine to which to rsync
my primary box backup store.  My intent is to design that remote server
so that "The server is trusted only to make files available when they
are required", to cop a phrase.

I've setup rsync with ssh keys (inspired by Troy Johnson at
http://www.jdmz.net/ssh/  "Using Rsync and SSH") to automatically push
from the store server to the remote server every few hours.  I set this
up to run as a user to be used only for this purpose, username "rsync1"
on both machines.  The command that I'll run on the server store
machine will be something like:

rsync -azvu --delete --stats -e "ssh -p 8023 -i $KEY"
/home/rsync1/rsyncbu rsync1@mainstore:/backupstore

where $KEY is the path/filename of the private key.

I'm comfortable that I can get all my store files backed up this way,
except for all of the write.lock files because they have 600
permissions with user _bbstored (see a related thread here:
http://lists.warhead.org.uk/pipermail/boxbackup/2006-May/002550.html )

I don't care if I'm missing the write.lock files for this purpose, do
I?

Thanks,
Pete

P.S. I'm on the US East Coast, and I have a buddy in Oregon on the West
Coast, several thousand miles away, who is willing to plug an rsync
server box like the one described above into his network for me so that
I can get real geographically distant redundancy.  But I wonder if
maybe I should instead find another Box Backup devotee on the Left
Coast to trade rsync boxes with... ;^)