[Box Backup] Box Backup status

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:23:11 +0000

On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 15:17 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> I agree with this, but I think that as part of an upgrade process, people
> should be able to move smoothly from a supported pair (0.09
> clients+server) to another supported pair (0.10 clients+server) via an
> unsupported pair (0.09 clients + 0.10 server), on the understanding that
> this unsupported state is much less reliable and tested, and therefore
> only temporary and to be exited as soon as possible.
>
> This could perhaps be encouraged by an options such as
> "EnableDangerousBackwardsCompatibility = yes" in the store configuration
> file.

I don't really like that. I think if we provide such an upgrade path it
should be a first class route, not some dodgy unsupported configuration.
People don't need that in a backup tool. :)

> I also think that it would be possible to test 0.10 server + 0.09 clients,
> by adapting the current unit tests, although it would be quite messy.

That would be the solution I'd be interested in.

Also to help upgrading, amongst other things, sooner or later the
bbstored port will be configurable, which will let you parallel run old
and new servers on the same machine, should make things a bit easier.
I'll do this myself one day unless I'm beaten to it. :)

Cheers,

Martin.