[Box Backup] Box Backup status

Dennis Speekenbrink boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 04 Dec 2006 01:09:23 +0100

> I don't really like that. I think if we provide such an upgrade path it
> should be a first class route, not some dodgy unsupported configuration.
> People don't need that in a backup tool. :)

I agree with the "if we say it works, it should work" mentality.  I also
think it should be possible to unit test the last X versions against a
server.
Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the Box Backup setup, but if a
certain protocol is agreed upon (with dependencies, requirements, and
optionals) shouldn't any compatible client be able to communicate with
any compatible server?
Then testing a client Y with a "protocol test", and testing a server Z
with a "protocol test" would guarantee that Y and Z would work together.

Combining this with a (minimal) test of the last, say 5, versions
against the newest server/client would greatly increase the chance of a
real-world client and server to be working correctly.

>> I also think that it would be possible to test 0.10 server + 0.09 clients,
>> by adapting the current unit tests, although it would be quite messy.
>>

> That would be the solution I'd be interested in.
>
> Also to help upgrading, amongst other things, sooner or later the
> bbstored port will be configurable, which will let you parallel run old
> and new servers on the same machine, should make things a bit easier.
> I'll do this myself one day unless I'm beaten to it. :)

I'd also like to test this.  Question:  Should this "just work" or are
there certain problems (like version matching or protocol differences)
that prevent this altogether?
Also, since my server listens to multiple IP's could I run a 0.10
bbstored on another IP and test my local 0.09 client against it?
And, per Martin's suggestion, would multiple bbstored's be able to
access the same boxstores?  (They wouldn't access the same clientstore,
but the same raidfile, configuration file, temporary file(?), etc)

I'll be sure to look into this tomorrow, and also into port
configuration on the bbstored.
I've been meaning to familiarize myself with the Box  Backup codebase
for a long time, hopefully I will be able to soon.

Cheers,
Dennis