[Box Backup] Feature Request: Only backup files less than X kbytes

James O'Gorman boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:46:43 +0000

Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> I think having the option is a good thing. And I already have a usage
> scenario for this. For example when people temp. download big iso
> images, I don't want them to show up in backup. And they don't have
> necessary the extens 'iso'.

Our solution to this was to use the ExcludeDir feature. We use it two ways:

1. Create /home/shared or /data/shared. Tell everyone to put shared data
(obviously) that doesn't need to be backed up into this directory and
set Box to exclude it.

2. Add an ExcludeDir for /home/*/temp or something along those lines.

It requires people being strict in where they download things to, but it
works once you get into the habit.

> Does boxbackup handle ACLs already correctly?

That's a point - I'd completely forgotten that I use ACLs on FreeBSD
5/6. From what I've noticed of the tests I've run so far ACL support
doesn't work on FreeBSD. I guess that's something to work on after 0.10.

James