[Box Backup] Feature Request: Only backup files less than X kbytes

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:20:24 +0000

Thomas Glanzmann <sithglan@stud.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
> Have you thought over an option to tell bbackupd to stay on *one*
> filesystem?

On a backup program that could be dangerous - you change the mount
points and forget to change the backup config and a whole chunk of your
filesystem could no longer be being backed up.

However, the feature might be handy sometimes so I'm not against it.

> Does boxbackup handle ACLs already correctly?

0.10 adds support for xattr on at least Linux and Darwin. ACLs on Linux
are implemented as xattrs so yes, they will be backed up correctly. I
would presume the same is true of Darwin.

> Is there are any reason not to support backing up a root filesystem of a
> system?

Box isn't really a disaster recovery system. For starters it's
difficult to restore the root without a bootable OS. Having said that,
if you can move the disk to another machine, or even these days booting
off a live CD would be ideal for restoring.

I suspect Box will suitable for backing up root filesystems one day and
I'm sure the day will be sooner if you submit a patch to resolve the
remaining issues. :)

> Have you thought about backing up Device Files?

Would probably be worth adding. Only really important if backing up
root, which isn't fully supported at the moment. And in the case of a
modern Linux with udev, not even needed for backing root up.

Cheers,

Martin.