[Box Backup] Danish and other special chars

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 17:43:41 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Gary,

>> console is unable to display UTF-8 properly. The easiest hack would be
>> to translate the file names from UTF-8 into local encoding when listing
>> them, but this might be worse if the local encoding is unable to
>> represent them properly.
>
> The UTF-8 is a Unicode spec under Unix-style operating systems, right?
> So, if Box streams back those filenames in CP_UTF8, it should be legal
> to:
>
> WideCharToMultiByte(CP_UTF8, ...)

Yes, but I can't printf a wide char string, as far as I know, so I then
have to convert it back to local encoding (CP_ACP?) and hope that it
works.

Also, I think there is no guarantee that other clients will store their
filenames on the server in UTF-8 or any other encoding, so moving files
with such names across platforms would still be a problem, I guess.