[Box Backup] Couple of items added to 0.09 Known Bugs Wiki; also, Box Backup Saves the Day!

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:18:32 +0000

On 23 Feb 2006, at 22:20, E.W. Peter Jalajas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Timing is everything! About 2 weeks ago, I installed Box Backup on the
> main computer of my bookkeepers/tax guy, where all his client files
> are.  I was inspired to do so by the lonely CD sitting under his desk
> that said "Backups" on it; I asked him when he made it, and he said
> something like, "last summer".  Box Backup was running well for about
> 10 days when we had a quite strong wind storm blow through town last
> Friday night; lights were dimming in and out for many hours, although
> the power never fully went out.  Tuesday morning they came into the
> office and found that their computer wouldn't start (they only had a
> high-quality surge suppressor on the computer, but not a UPS).  Dell
> came out yesterday and replaced the power supply AND hard drive under
> warranty (Dell wanted to take the hard drive, but we asked to keep it;
> they want it back by March 2!?)  You should've seen the peace on the
> guy's face as I began restoring his 16,000 client files with a few
> keystrokes.  Thanks, Ben (and all) for an amazing product!

It's always good to hear reports of success!

> In the restore process, I noticed a couple of things that I just put
> into the Known 0.09 Bug wiki:
> http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/Known_bugs
>
> *Query Crashing
> *Restored Files Date Stamps

Which platform and client were those on? I think it's Win32, and
there are a number of Win32 versions around now.

> I also noticed that
> http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/Verify_and_restore_backups
> is incomplete compared to
> http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/restore.html
> Let me know and I'll copy the text from the latter to the former.

I've restored this.

Ben