[Box Backup] Version 0.10 released

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:14:26 -0800 (PST)

--- Chris Wilson <chris@qwirx.com> wrote:
> As yet there's no build that I know of that has been extensively
> tested with a minimal number of bugs found, at least not since Nick's
> 0.09hWin32.

OK, thanks, that's the one I'm using now on 3 client sites (on the
store:  3.5GB, 40,000 files, a few hundred changed files per normal
day).

> However I would rather not recommend that people
> use only one back strategy of any kind, unless they frequently verify
> (compare) their entire backup set.

Now THAT would be a neat feature to add to the client!  I haven't
looked, and my memory stinks, but I can't recall any other backup
solution having automated periodic compares (and not many can even do
it  at all)!  How about a daily quick compare and a weekly late-night
full (or largely so) compare?  Maybe even fairly trivial to code?
(Yeah, I guess a Scheduled Task could be created, but not nearly as
elegant!)

And while your recommendation is of course the safest solution, the
reality is that most folks do far less (either no backup, or never
compare [after the first day]), and Box Backup offers far more.

> Not having a full test suite for win32 definitely doesn't help. How's
> the test batch file coming along? The last one you sent me looks
> pretty good, and I have some ideas that may help you -

You're very generous, thank you.  Well, I think using cygwin would give
us (me, anyway) much for flexibility for coding the tests than using
batch files, so I guess I should port the batch file to cygwin.   What
do you think?  (The cygwin testing would only be intended for use on
our internal testing machines, and not to make cygwin a requirement for
installed client systems.) All ideas welcome; feel free to send them
along, off-list if appropriate.

>recent builds have a "sync-and-wait" command so that you can be sure
>that a backup has been run, and your newly created files should have
>been backed up.

Sorry, I'm not sure I get what that command does and/or when it should
be used?

Thanks again, Chris,
Pete