[Box Backup] Is it possible to 'undelete' files in the Box Backup store?

Stuart Hickinbottom boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:17:37 +0000

I've had Box Backup working well for me for a while now, and I'm very
impressed with it, thanks. Its requirements exactly fit my needs
(remote, automatic, and encrypted), and it's been stable and pretty
trouble-free once it was all set up.

A hardware failure this week, however, led to my Linux server unmounting
a large external disk (mounted under /mnt/media), which had the effect
of causing all the files and directories under that mount point to
effectively disappear.

boxbackup duly noticed this and marked all the files and directories
under that mount point as deleted (~150GB). This is a little
inconvenient as they've not really been deleted at all, they were just
temporarily invisible to the client daemon.

I've since managed to recover my disk (thank heavens for ext3), but
before I re-enable bbackupd on this machine I was wondering whether it
would be possible to remove the 'deleted' flag on selected files and
directories within the backup store? I know the object IDs of all the
objects involved.

If I just restart bbackupd now it will, I think, begin uploading all
150GB of those files that it will think have just been created (maybe
it's cleverer than that, but I don't expect it'll notice that those
files/directories already exist in 'deleted' versions). Uploading this
quantity of data will work, but will be slow as my backup server lives
on the other end of a 256Mbit DSL link.

Any ideas before I restart bbackupd and watch the modem flash for a
couple of months?

Thanks,
Stuart