[Box Backup] 0.10 release candidate 2

Per Thomsen boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:29:41 -0800

On 1/31/06 3:24 PM, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 15:17 -0600, Todd D. Esposito wrote:
>
>> On Tue, January 31, 2006 13:59, Per Thomsen said:
>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Running test bbackupd in release mode...
>>> ***********
>>> Your platform supports xattr, but your filesystem does not.
>>> Skipping tests.
>>> ***********
>>>
>>> What file system can I use if I want to test extended attributes on
>>> Linux (I'm using ext3)? I could probably find an old drive, and install
>>> it, if it would help.
>>>

>> It's not a file-system thing, necessarily; xattr needs to be enabled in
>> the kernel (well, in the fs {module} build, same difference); I don't use
>> RH since 7.3, but I wasn't enabled back then IIRC, and appears not to be
>> for you.
>>

> It's not a kernel thing, necessarily. Most distros have had xattr
> enabled in the kernel for a long time.
>
> It is a filesystem thing. Firstly it needs to be a filesystem that
> supports xattr. ext3 and xfs are the main ones, reiserfs also if you
> have the patches (which may even be in the main kernel now).
>
> Then it's down to how it works with the filesystem. xfs has xattr
> enabled by default and should just work. ext3 has the support disabled
> to start with and you have to activate it with mount options. You need
> to mount with the user_xattr option, and also the acl option is a good
> idea. Put them in fstab, give them to mount with -o, or even set them on
> the filesystem directly:
>
> tune2fs -o acl,user_xattr /dev/xxx

Is this non-destructive? I.e., can I do this with a fs, that hasn't had
xattrs turned on in the past?

If so, I'll do the FC2 and FC3 tests with xattr turned on as well.

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen@reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561