RFC: end-to-end compare -aq (Was: Re: [Box Backup] Win32 native client service bbackupd.conf)

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 23:25:25 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

Please forgive me for jumping in late, and for asking what is probably a
stupid question, but here goes:

Would it make sense for the client to download, from the server, a list of
blocks where the information supplied about each block is (1) the IV used
previously by the client to encrypt that block, and (2) the current
checksum on disk (on the server) of that block, freshly computed by the
server?

Would that be enough to allow the client to re-encrypt the block using the
same IV, rather than a new IV, compute the checksum of the block, and thus
determine whether its local copy was different to the one on the server?
Unless of course some strange disk/memory corruption on the server or
client just happened to result in the different encrypted block having the
same checksum?