RFC: end-to-end compare -aq (Was: Re: [Box Backup] Win32 native client service bbackupd.conf)

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 11:44:11 +0100

On 3 Jul 2006, at 23:25, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please forgive me for jumping in late, and for asking what is
> probably a stupid question, but here goes:
>
> Would it make sense for the client to download, from the server, a
> list of blocks where the information supplied about each block is
> (1) the IV used previously by the client to encrypt that block, and
> (2) the current checksum on disk (on the server) of that block,
> freshly computed by the server?
>
> Would that be enough to allow the client to re-encrypt the block
> using the same IV, rather than a new IV, compute the checksum of
> the block, and thus determine whether its local copy was different
> to the one on the server? Unless of course some strange disk/memory
> corruption on the server or client just happened to result in the
> different encrypted block having the same checksum?

Yes, I think that would do the trick nicely.

It doesn't require the server to be trusted any more than the minimal
"store files and let us retrieve them intact" requirement.

Ben