[Box Backup] still don't understand what happens when the store is full

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 08:28:44 -0700 (PDT)

FWIW, for the newer Box Backup users out there, I set my hard limits
HUGELY higher than my soft limits by several GB.  I was using 10% based
on the original how-to page,
http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/Certificates_and_accounts_management
, but the percentage number is irrelevant, you need to think of it in
terms of the size in GB of your largest new file that might be added to
your substantially full store.

That freeboard between the soft and hard limits is only used for very
brief periods of time, and so one can manage the very slight risk of
having multiple clients using large portions of their freeboard at the
same time (kinda like overbooking an airplane).  That is, the total sum
of your soft limits MUST NEVER exceed your store server hard drive
space, but if you have a large number of accounts, the total sum of
your hard limits may exceed your store server hard drive space.  While
the first client is temporarily using up all of your hard drive space,
the second client(s) will simply try again later.

Ben, re my statement above:
"you need to think of it in terms of the size in GB of your largest new
file that might be added to your substantially full store",
should I change that to:
"you need to think of it in terms of the size in GB of your largest SET
OF new fileS that might be added to your substantially full store
DURING A SINGLE BACKUP CONNECTION SESSION"?
That is, if there is a chance that you might have 3 separate new 1GB
files that are scheduled to be uploaded to the substantially full
server during a single backup connection session, you need at least 3GB
of freeboard between your soft and hard limits so that the store server
can hold ALL OF THEM while it makes room for them under the soft limit
by deleting old and deleted files, or is 1GB enough, because it'll
process them one at a time?

Ben, also, I've been asked several times about the algorithm for the
timing of deleting old and deleted files, and I always mumble my way
through it.  Has the precise detailed algorithm been documented (except
in the code)?  Something like, and I'm making this up:
"Files marked as Deleted are deleted first, before any files marked as
Old are deleted; then, if there are no (more) files marked as Deleted,
then files marked as Old are deleted next, starting with the oldest of
the files marked as Old."  Maybe you can point me to the code file with
the algorithm and then I can translate it to English and put it on the
wiki.

Thanks,
Pete