[Box Backup] locking files on Windows

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:53:17 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Alex,

>> Can you exclude it from the backup (temporarily) to see if the problem
>> goes away?
>
> Well, if I leave bbackupd service off, the problem goes away, so I think
> that confirms the same thing.

It would be helpful to know if it's just one file that's causing the
problem.

>> I don't think it could be backing up the same file at the same time
>> every day if you are using automatic backup mode, but you could check
>> whether it's connected to the server at the time when your users log
>> in, by looking at the messages in the event viewer.
>
> It appears that (in this morning's case, at least) this was true. I got
> the "Connection made, login successful" message at 8:54 and the user
> complained about the lock at 8:59. I immediately shut down the service,
> the user logged in ok, and I started the service again at 9:00. I'll
> keep an eye on it for the next few days to see if this same timing
> continues.

Could you turn on Extended Logging, and see if it's uploading this file at
the time when the user logs in? Is it a large file that would take some
time to scan for changes? (e.g. > 20 MB)

Do you have any processes that modify the file at fixed times, e.g.
during the night? Or do your users always close the application at the
same time every day? Could you try changing your MinimumFileAge and
MaxUploadWait settings?

> Or maybe I'm just better off in snapshot mode. This one file is really
> the only thing I need to backup on this server and it gets changed
> pretty much all day long.

Yes, snapshot is probably better, assuming that you can rely on it running
every day, or arrange a systematic compare and warning if comparison
fails.