[Box Backup] Full server store not deleting old and deleted files (boxwin0.09)

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 06:04:22 -0800 (PST)

Thanks, Dennis and Ben.

Dennis:  Here's the script I run.  It's ugly, but it works for
me...suggestions very welcome: http://tebuco.com/dl/bbcheck.zip

--- Ben Summers <ben@fluffy.co.uk> wrote:

> On 1 Mar 2006, at 04:18, E.W. Peter Jalajas wrote:
>

> > So, why haven't the old and deleted files been deleted?  And what
> > should I do to fix it?
>
> Check your server logs to see if there's anything about interrupted
> housekeeping.

These all showed nothing:
  530  grep -i house /var/log/box.0
  531  grep -i house /var/log/box
  532  grep -i hk /var/log/box
  533  grep -i hk /var/log/box.0

>If the housekeeping takes too long and the client
> connects too frequently, then housekeeping never deletes anything.

Here's the timings from their bbackupd.conf:

UpdateStoreInterval = 3600
MinimumFileAge = 21600
MaxUploadWait = 86400
FileTrackingSizeThreshold = 65535
DiffingUploadSizeThreshold = 8192
MaximumDiffingTime = 20

> This is something to be aware of, and the reason I want to move to
> ref-counted stores in the 0.20 version.

So, for now, should I just increase their quota?  Temporarily?  Should
I put the known large-file BackupLocations (those with the big
QuickBooks file) at the end of the bbackupd.conf listing?

Thanks!
Pete

Link of the fortnight or so (2006-02-09):  Be sure to register for LinuxWorldExpo Boston April 3-6, 2006: http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/register

E.W. Peter Jalajas
Tebuco, Inc. | Technical Business Consulting
pjalajas@tebuco.com | http://tebuco.com/
cell:  978-495-2062 | (secondary phone: 978-465-7047 x27)
PO Box 1223, Newburyport, MA  01950-8223

ASK ME about the EXCITING new Tebuco web-based automated secure off-site backup service!  Never think about backups again!

Electronic forms, submittals.
Database maintenance.
Information security.
Linux; free, open-source software alternatives.