[Box Backup] Boxbackup deleted directories

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:56:17 +0100

On 28 Mar 2006, at 16:41, Peter wrote:

> tis 2006-03-28 klockan 13:41 +0100 skrev Ben Summers:
>> On 28 Mar 2006, at 09:02, Peter wrote:
>>
> [snip]

>>> I wouldn't say it's impossible, these are home-folders for a
>>> biochemical
>>> company, and I know they store a LOT, both in size and numbers of
>>> files.
>>
>> Can you find out for sure?
>
> After some searching I found one directory where
> 'ls -1 | wc -l' = 8178, all of them regular files.
> It takes up only 35mb of diskspace though.
>
> Is this likely to cause a problem?
>
> bbackupd consumes about 99% of the cpu, so it's busy doing something.

Yes, this is likely to cause your problem.

>>> Just let me know if there is anything else you need, like more
>>> complete
>>> log entries or testing some configuration changes, cause right
>>> now I'm
>>> not sure how to proceed myself.
>>
>> Currently my best guess is that you're backing up a directory with a
>> huge number of files in it, and Box Backup is not as efficient as it
>> should be in situations like that.
>
> Any ideas for how this will be adressed in the next version (if at
> all)?

0.11 will just neaten up the existing stuff, especially the Windows
side of things. In the version after that, I want to radically
overhaul this part of the software. So by replacing this directory
searching code with new code, essentially.

Ben