[Box Backup] How to move store to new machine

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 16 May 2006 17:00:15 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Pete,

> Sorry, I'm still not sure what you're getting at re the _bbstored user.
>  Can you paste the lines that you think are odd?

OK, I missed the fact that you were running the commands on different
servers. On the old server, _bbstored has uid 1003, and on the new one
1005. It shouldn't matter, but make sure that your restored tarball has
the correct permissions to allow the _bbstored user on new to write to it.

It may not matter either if you're decommissioning the server, but this
worries me:

> user@old:~$ su _bbstored
> su: User not known to the underlying authentication module
> user@old:~$ grep bb /etc/passwd
> _bbstored:x:1003:100::/home/_bbstored:

This implies that your PAM setup is broken on the old machine. I hope this
works on the new machine?

Did you already try fixing the store on the old machine before copying? If
not, please try that.

> (Do I recall reading somewhere that you start it as root, then _bbstored
> takes over, or was that some other project that I'm thinking about?)

I'm not sure. There is a "user" option in the server config, but I haven't
used it, so I don't know if it works.

> Sorry, a little off-topic, but your massive contribution to box backup

Thanks, but I hardly made a "massive contribution", especially in
comparison to what the others have done. I just cleaned up Nick's port a
bit, got it merged into the tree, and now I'm helping out with a bit of
tech support when I have time.

> Re http://www.loband.org/loband/main, I don't really have a need for it
> (yet), but it was interesting to see how fast it was, how clean the
> output looked, and how it might be used for rich-country limited
> bandwidth situations like PDAs, cell phones, dial-up, etc.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. It's not really designed for mobile phones,
but some people have reported using it successfully with them. And it
worked pretty well on my Treo, before that had a heart attack one day.

And it is sometimes useful in developing countries. Here in Ghana,
Sourceforge pages take forever to load; it's about three times faster
through Loband.