[Box Backup] How to move store to new machine

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 16 May 2006 12:18:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ben Summers <ben@fluffy.co.uk> wrote:
> On 16 May 2006, at 18:00, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > Hi Pete,
> >
> > OK, I missed the fact that you were running the commands on
> > different servers.
>
> That's rather important! I missed that one. :-)

How you guys could possibly have missed that among my thousands and
thousands of lines of drivel is certainly understandable.  I won't make
the false promise to try to be more concise.

> >> user@old:~$ su _bbstored
> >> su: User not known to the underlying authentication module
> >> user@old:~$ grep bb /etc/passwd
> >> _bbstored:x:1003:100::/home/_bbstored:
> >
> The long process to su to that user worried me, which was the "odd"
> thing I was referring to.

The long odd process was just me going through the process of
discovering simple basic command line skills, however slowly.  It
_should_ worry you that I have to do that so often.  (Trust me, it's
scarier to watch in person.)  (The method behind my odd madness was
that I showed my work, including the false starts, [and similarly why I
draft such lengthy messages] is so that maybe other noobs out there
would maybe tip towards using the product and maybe even chime in on
the list.)