[Box Backup] Easiest Linux version for BackupBox

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 28 May 2006 06:27:02 -0700 (PDT)

Well, your first option should be to use what the main developer, Ben
Summers, is deploying on, OpenBSD.

I am using Box Backup 0.10 on the bleeding edge Ubuntu Dapper 6.06
betas (a Debian derivative):
http://www.ubuntu.com/news/dapperrc
I was running Box Backup 0.09 on Ubuntu Breezy 5.10 for several months:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download

The only problem with Ubuntu is that they are quite strict about not
including closed software (Acrobat, Flash, Java, mp3, MS fonts, etc),
but at the same time, the community has made it very easy to add those
things to your system:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats
(EasyUbuntu and Automatix are awesome automaters of installing these
things:http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=114251
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=138405
Not sure of their status at the moment.)

If you are running it simply as a server (no gui) and not a desktop,
then that should not be a concern.

Instructions for installing on a Debian derivative (please submit
corrections):
http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/Compiling_and_Installing_on_Debian_GNU/Linux

Good luck!
Pete