[Box Backup] Win32 Issues

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 31 May 2006 15:51:25 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Peter,

I think there may be some confusion here. When you referred to
"compiling in Cygwin with the new v0.10 binaries," did you mean:

1. following the instructions in "win32_build_on_cygwin_using_mingw.txt"
    (resulting in a native build); or
2. just "./configure; make" (resulting in a cygwin build)?

> I've tried the Windows native client with the same lack of avail.  I get
> a handshake error, and I am certain that the certificates and key used
> are the same.

The expected behaviour depends on which build you actually made. If you
built from my branch, revision 568, following the instructions in
win32_build_on_cygwin_using_mingw.txt, then your build should behave in
exactly the same way as mine. If not, then please identify what you did
differently.

If you put the same keys and configuration (modulo path separators) onto a
Unix client, does it work?

> What unit tests fail on Cygwin?  It seems as though bbackupquery works,
> it simply has a problem reading from the console.  If I provide commands
> as arguments, I can see that they've executed.

Sorry, I don't remember exactly. You can run the tests yourself with
"./runtests ALL debug". I'm not too interested in Cygwin as a platform now
that we have a native build for Windows, and I don't know whether anyone
else is.

> Doesn't a build on Cygwin with MinGW result in the native Win32 build?

No, the native build is cross-compiled and does not depend on Cygwin any
more once it's compiled. It just uses cygwin as a convenient way to get
the compiler, shell, perl, etc. installed on the machine. You can also do
the native build using MSVC without installing Cygwin.

> I built following the instructions in
> "win32_build_on_cygwin_using_mingw.txt", it would seem to me that I am
> building the native Win32 client.

Yes, that is a native build, not a Cygwin build, assuming that you follow
the instructions exactly.

> When I try to do a standard configure and build under Cygwin, I get
> errors that it cannot determine mount points on my system.

That's probably because nobody is testing on Cygwin and it got broken. I
think the standard 0.10 sources did compile on Cygwin, but I'm not 100%
sure.