[Box Backup] FYI: If you lose your CA dir

Imran Niazi boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:14:56 -0800

Hi guys,

I was just installing the client on two new servers, and noticed that I "lost"
the 'ca' directory.  This assumes you still have the server key file and the
csr file etc. in your configuration dirs, as well as the csr/key files for
each of the clients.  If you lose the server key file, you should be able to
recreate it and follow the below instructions.  I don't think that should
affect your old backups.  But if you lose the client key file, you will lose
all the backups for that client.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, this what you do to generate new ca dir etc.:

a) create a new ca dir: 'bbstored-certs ca init'
b) Sign the server key:
  bbstored-certs ca sign-server SERVERHOSTNAME-csr.pem
c) copy the cert etc. as instructed
d) Copy the CLIENTID-csr.pem from each of the clients to the server
e) Sign each of the csr and generate new CLIENTID-cert.pem:
  bbstored-certs ca sign CLIENTID-csr.pem
f) Copy the CLIENTID-cert.pem, and serverCA.pem, back to the client (the util
tells you what to copy back)

Imran Niazi
www.niazi.net