[Box Backup] Housekeeping hogging the server

Jamie Webb boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:17:51 +0100

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 01:53:44PM +0100, Jamie Neil wrote:
> At the moment it's a toss up between rsnapshot (rsync based using hard
> links to save space) and rdiff-backup. I think rdiff-backup has the edge
> because it can run on the backup server as a non root user.

Just a warning: I switched to Box from rdiff-backup despite not
needing its features, because on two separate occasions rdiff-backup
managed to corrupt its history and then silently fail to make any
further backups.

Incidentally, my backups total about 10GB of live files including 5GB
of maildirs (the 20GB soft limit has been reached) and bbstored
averages about 30mins of CPU per day on a similar spec. system to
yours. Certainly more than I'd like, but presumably it ought to scale
linearly...

I didn't think housekeeping would even run until the soft limit is
reached though?

-- Jamie Webb