[Box Backup] Backup the backup

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:43:23 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Pete,

> This is an interesting idea, changing bbackupd.conf periodically to
> make bbackupd do different things at, say, different times of the day.
> Is that what you guys are talking about?

I think it would work, provided that you appropriately signal the bbackupd
process to reread its configuration file afterwards (with bbackupctl
reload or kill -HUP). However, it's not what I'm talking about, and if it
is what Ben's talking about then we're talking at cross purposes :-)

I'm talking about a way to recover from a fatal and prolonged crash of the
local backup store (bbstored) by switching to an offsite mirror of the
store, which is readable and writable to the client, until the local store
can be repaired (at which point I assume that you would change back to
using the local one).