[Box Backup] Compression during transport?

Stefan Norlin boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 16:02:49 +0200

> Does boxbackup compress "on the wire" as well as on disk? I ask, because I
> need to evaluate the likely bandwidth cost of an initial "sync" of a
> machine
> with many Gb of data.

Compression is done on the client side before transfer.

You will find an entry in the log (client side) looking like this:

Sep  6 02:12:24 webster2 bbackupd[2767]: File statistics: total file size
uploaded 384737508, bytes already on server 168098559, encoded size 98437347

So, around 98 MB was transfered in this case
(after selecting, encrypting/compressing the data).

Stefan