[Box Backup] bbackupd - read errors on database files

G. boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 03:33:47 -0700 (PDT)

Chris,

>> I have a similar problem under Windows with SVN repositories.

>Do you really get this error? "Backup object failed, error when reading
>..."?

No, sorry to be unclear, I meant that a backup completes successfully, but a subsequent compare run will flag file content differences for SVN repository databases (and Excel files, as well). If I update relevant file timestamps and re-backup, yet another compare cycle shows no errors.

>> I think repository database files get updated, but their timestamps do
>> not change, so Box never picks them up (the reason I proposed MD5
>> signatures within file attributes a while ago).

>Nice idea in theory, but realise that it means that you have to MD5 every
>file that doesn't appear to have changed (i.e. almost all of them), to be
>really sure that it hasn't. That's an awful lot of overhead.

I already wrote a quick and dirty prototype a while ago for testing purposes, adding MD5s for all files to file attribute stream and to folder checksum algorithm. Given, my machines use the latest CPUs, but the overall backup completion time overhead was only around 10% - 15%. I also tested CRC-32s, but the difference was only in the 5% area, so MD5s are worth it.

>I think the consensus is that inode change notification is the most
>efficient way to detect changed files. Now we just have to implement it.

How would that work under Window$?

Gary

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html