[Box Backup] bbackupd - read errors on database files

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:25:59 +0100 (BST)

Hi Gary,

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, G. wrote:

>>> Apr  6 10:11:44 codd bbackupd[16595]: Backup object failed, error when
>>> reading //var/www/svn/db/strings
>
>>> Does this mean box backup is not designed to manage backups of data
>>> stores for applications like SubVersion? Is a special configuration
>>> neccessary for this use case?
>
>> Is it possible that the database files changed while the backup was
>> running, e.g. that something was committed to the SVN repository?
>
> I have a similar problem under Windows with SVN repositories.

Do you really get this error? "Backup object failed, error when reading
..."?

> I think repository database files get updated, but their timestamps do
> not change, so Box never picks them up (the reason I proposed MD5
> signatures within file attributes a while ago).

Nice idea in theory, but realise that it means that you have to MD5 every
file that doesn't appear to have changed (i.e. almost all of them), to be
really sure that it hasn't. That's an awful lot of overhead.

I think the consensus is that inode change notification is the most
efficient way to detect changed files. Now we just have to implement it.