[Box Backup] Restore & Compare Issue ** UPDATE **

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 23:17:11 +0100 (BST)

Hi Matt,

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Matt Brown wrote:

>> Have you tried not gzipping it on the storage array? I think your
>> backup would be faster and more efficient this way.
>
> I did the initial upload unzipped, Please dont take this the wrong way,
> but I was unsure how 'smart' the compare and diff algorithm would be as
> the file is being created a fresh each day on the windows box before it
> arrives at IO.

The diffing algorithm, as far as I know, does not care if the file is
recreated each day (i.e. that the inode number has changed). It will just
scan for matching blocks on both sides, and only send the blocks which
have changed. This happens after compression, so it should do what you
want. If it doesn't, I really want to know about it!

Restoring a directory with 2 x 2GB files worked fine for me (linux FC2 on
both ends).