[Box Backup] Restore & Compare Issue ** UPDATE **

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sat, 28 Apr 2007 18:49:12 +0100 (BST)

Hi Matt,

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Matt Brown wrote:

>> > Ok, that would be cool - I am happy to test any patches etc if that
>> > helps you ?
>>
>> Yes, it's extremely important and useful to have your help in finding
>> and fixing this bug, since I don't think I'll be able to reproduce it.
>> I don't think anybody has had such a problem before so there must be
>> something very unusual going on.

OK, I was finally able to reproduce the problem. It only happens with
files over 2 GB. I eventually remembered that somebody had seen this
problem before, and Ben had written up a problem ticket:

 	http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/trac/ticket/2

But the problem never actually got fixed. I wrote some tests and fixed
this and one more problem which prevented files over 2GB (on the server)
from being downloaded.

I've been able to restore a single 3GB file from the server using the
"get" command. I verified that the md5 checksum matched the original.

There is still a problem somewhere in the backup protocol, because the
bbackupquery client craps out after restoring or comparing the file, with
a protocol error. I'm still working on this one, but it's slow going
because it takes so long to download the file each time.

If you want to help out, you could try downloading the latest version of
my Box Backup tree from:

 	http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/merge/

and install it on the server and the client, and see if you can restore
your files with the "get" command, and if they have the correct contents.

It would also be VERY useful if you could continue to run this version and
report any problems that you have with it, since it will almost certainly
become the next release (0.11) with only small changes, and additional
testing would be most welcome.

>> > root@io:/root/bin# /usr/local/bin/bbackupquery "compare -aq" quit
>> > WARNING: Quick compare used -- file attributes are not checked.
>> > Local file '/data/mars/CoreSystem_backup_200704142000.tar.gz' does not
>> > exist, but store file '/venus/CoreSystem_backup_200704142000.tar.gz'
>> > does.
>> > Local file '/data/mars/CoreSystem_backup_200704152000.tar.gz' does not
>> > exist, but store file '/venus/CoreSystem_backup_200704152000.tar.gz'
>> > does.
>> > However inside the /data/mars directory I have:
>> >
>> > root@io:/data/mars# ls -alh
>> > total 7.5G
>> > drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  160 Apr 16 20:00 .
>> > drwxr-xr-x 11 root root  264 Mar 28 11:39 ..
>> > - - -rw-r--r--  1 root root 3.8G Apr 15 20:29
>> > CoreSystem_backup_200704142000.tar.gz
>> > - - -rw-r--r--  1 root root 3.8G Apr 16 20:29
>> > CoreSystem_backup_200704152000.tar.gz

I still haven't been able to reproduce this problem, so I think I still
the strace output to figure out what's going on.