[Box Backup] BadBackupStoreFile

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 01:12:27 +0100 (BST)

Hi Johann,

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Johann Glaser wrote:

> Yes, the original file is >2GB, but we have some more, even larger
> files, which don't show this problem.

It has to be over 2GB _compressed_ to trigger the bug. Perhaps the other
files compress down to under 2GB?

> Is it sure that the backup continues after the problem with all other
> files? Or does the backup stop after the first error?

It should continue, but if an exception is being thrown then it might well
not do so as that should be an extreme case. I haven't verified the code
path in this case. Does it matter to you, i.e. would you be happy to
continue to run this version knowing that a few large files are not being
backed up?

You can tell pretty easily from the backup logs. If it says "Caught
exception - reset state and waiting to retry" then it did not complete the
backup run, but aborted because of the exception.

> How can I find out which files in the backup store belong to which
> original files?

Sorry, I don't know exactly what you mean here, does bbackupquery's list
command tell you what you want?

> Your second paragraph suggests that excluding files from the backup by
> adding an exclusion-statement in bbackupd.conf will remove all backups
> of this file. Is this true?

No, it's only that when bbackupd uploads a new version, it does not send a
patch against deleted versions, so it will upload a fresh copy and avoid
triggering the bug.

> Unfortunately we don't want to try unstable or testing backup software
> on our production server, therefore we will want to wait until a more
> stable version is available.

OK, your call.