[Box Backup] Restore directory

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 20:53:53 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Paul,

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Paul MacKenzie wrote:

> It is quite difficult to restore large directories (I get timeouts all
> the time).

Are you sure about that? So if you run "restore /foo/bar baz" on a large
directory, you often get timeouts?

This really surprises me, because normally the network will be much slower
than the disk, so the client will spend most of its time receiving data
from the server, and very little time decrypting and writing to disk. The
only circumstances where I can imagine this are:

* the server is very busy/slow/overloaded; or

* the connection between client and server is busy/slow/overloaded; or

* the file to be restored is large, and you are restoring an old version
which requires the server to do a lot of work to reconstruct it before
sending.

Could you provide an example with a copy/paste from the console output and
ExtendedLogging enabled?

Also, can you describe the network setup between server and client in more
detail? And the specs of client and server machines?