[Box Backup] Segmentation fault from bbackupquery (exception Connection TLSHandshakeFailed)

Ben Bennett boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:47:31 -0500

I am trying to get boxbackup working between two linux machines on the
same lan.  The machines are:
  ayup: (bb server) Redhat FC 6
  thar: (bb client) Gentoo (up to date with stable)

Both are running bb 0.10 (ayup from rpms built of the 0.10 tgz, and
thar running the bb 0.10 ebuild).

I started bbstored on ayup, then ran the following on thar:
# bbackupquery
Box Backup Query Tool v0.10, (c) Ben Summers and contributors
2003-2006
Using configuration file /etc/boxbackup/bbackupd.conf
Connecting to store...
Segmentation fault

The following appears in /var/log/messages on ayup:
Jan 29 09:03:53 ayup bbstored[3524]: Incoming connection from 10.10.100.3 port 52738 (handling in child 16796)
Jan 29 09:03:53 ayup bbstored[16796]: in server child, exception Connection TLSHandshakeFailed (7/30) -- terminating child

This happens every time.  I tried regenerating the keys for the client
and server, and it makes no difference.

To try to narrow this down more, I set ayup up as a client too, and it
works successfully there, I can run bbackupquery and I get the
expected prompt.

In case it helps at all, here is a backtrace from gdb of the
bbackupquery on thar.  Unfortunately I have my system compiled with
-fomit-frame-pointer and I have stripped libaries, so there is not too
much information available.

thar fiji # gdb bbackupquery
GNU gdb 6.4
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...(no debugging symbols
found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/sbin/bbackupquery
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
[New Thread -1208973648 (LWP 24534)]
Box Backup Query Tool v0.10, (c) Ben Summers and contributors
2003-2006
Using configuration file /etc/boxbackup/bbackupd.conf
Connecting to store...

[Switching to Thread -1208973648 (LWP 24534)]
0xb7f23f37 in deflateParams () from /lib/libz.so
(gdb) back
#0  0xb7f23f37 in deflateParams () from /lib/libz.so
(gdb) quit
The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y

Thanks a lot,

			 -ben