[Box Backup] Failed to setup location

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:38:00 +0100 (BST)

Hi Pete,

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, E.W. Peter Jalajas wrote:

> It seemed to work fine, got about 17GB stored (very quickly over
> client-side FIOS!), but a few days later I noticed that no new files
> were being added, and then the logs show we started getting the "Failed
> to setup location" error.  Client and server logs below.
>
> I don't think it should be trying to setup that location, because it
> already exists with lots of files in it.
>
> That location is a mapped drive from another server on which we have
> full control rights.  It may contain mapped locations below it (links to
> other servers in the network), which I know is a no-no, but I don't
> think that's our problem.  We actually see the .lnk file in the
> bbackupquery backuplocation root, but we've deleted that file/link to
> try to fix the problem, to no avail.  It could be that one or more bad
> files are being copied into that backup location via an automated
> script, but a look in the top directory showed all the files to be owned
> by the domain admin with full control rights.
>
> We tried to rename that BackupLocation by appending a "2" to its name,
> but that didn't help.
>
> So there is something wrong with that directory, but we don't know where
> to look for the problem.

I think you're right. I'm surprised that no additional errors are logged.
I'll have to test backing up mounted drives (I assume that J:\ is mapped
from a network server?) and add some more debugging code when I have time.
Sorry about this error. Does any older client work better for you?

> Any suggestions?
>
> Should I submit a bug that the logs give us no clue as to what is wrong
> with the location (and maybe that the error message is misleading)?

I don't think the error is misleading, what makes you think that? I know
that it doesn't give enough information in this case. Please do file a bug
report about that.